Friday, April 6, 2012

Snowscapes




Although I now prefer living in places with a warmer climate, I still appreciate the purity of snow.  There is a certain neatness about it, isn't there?

I call the painting above "warm inside", hoping that the viewer will feel the warmth by just looking at the red cabin on the left, even though the painting relays that wintery cold feeling.

The painting on top was painted to prove that the color blue does not always recede.  There's a saying among landscape painters, "blue in the background gives depth" or "when in doubt, use purple to achieve depth."  In this painting I have my water (blue) in the foreground as well as some purple and it works, doesn't it?  So the lesson is: "know your rules and learn how to break them."








No comments:

Post a Comment